Saturday, October 23, 2010

Time For A Spiritual Makeover


Matt 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Matthew 6:25-33 Jesus teaches about worry. Because of the ill effects of worry, Jesus tells us not to worry about those needs that God promises to supply. Worry may damage your health, cause the object of your worry to consume your thoughts; disrupt your productivity, negatively affect the way you treat others and reduce your ability to trust God. The difference between worry and genuine concern is worry immobilizes you, but concern moves you to action.

To seek first his kingdom and his righteousness means to turn to God for help to fill your thoughts with his desires to take his character for your pattern and to serve and obey him in everything. What is really important to you? People, objects, goals and other desires all compete for our priority. Any of these can quickly bump God out of first place if you don’t actively choose to give him first place in every area of your life.

The television show Extreme Makeover Home Edition is a reality television series providing home renovations for less fortunate families. Each episode features a family that has faced some sort of recent or ongoing hardship such as a natural disaster or a family member with a life threatening illness. Extreme Makeover is considered a spinoff of Extreme Makeover, an earlier series providing personal makeovers (often including plastic surgery) to selected individuals. Both of these shows specialize in renovating the things we can see. However, In Matthew 6:33 Jesus tells us to seek first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness. In other words get our priorities in order.

In our request for a spiritual makeover, our priorities need to be the same as our Heavenly Father. There were times in my life where I set priorities, and I wish I could tell you they were all Godly priorities. There were times when I did not set priorities and other people tried to set them for me. To prevent someone else from trying to establish my priorities, I began to seek God first and ask him to help establish my priorities for the day.

In 2 Corinthians 8:1-5 the Macedonian Believers were going through great trial of affliction and deep poverty. Both of these things would be enough to cause some anxiety and worry. Yet they had an abundance of joy. Oftentimes in life we will go through situations which try to rob us of our joy. But the Macedonian Believers gave us a key in 2 Cor 8:5 which says that they “first gave their own selves to the Lord” They esteemed Him above and though all that they were experiencing in their lives. Instead of focusing on their problems, situations and circumstances, they chose to put their trust in God.

God wants to bless you. He wants us to have abundance of joy even when we are facing tremendous challenges in our lives. To receive a spiritual makeover, we must give up all that we are that we may receive all that he died to give.

Prayer: Father I depart from evil and do good. I seek, inquire for and crave peace. Instead of worrying, I will pray I will let petitions and praises shape my worries into prayers, letting you Father know my concerns, not forgetting to thank you for the answers. Your peace will keep my thoughts and my heart quiet and at rest as I trust in Christ Jesus my Lord. Amen. God Loves you and so do I… Pastor Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment