Saturday, August 22, 2009

Stay Focused

Ps 108:1- O God, my heart is fixed; I will sing and give praise, even with my glory.

What is your focus today? Are you willing to focus your thoughts and energies on God’s blessings and upon His will for your life? Or will you turn your thoughts to other things? As I arose this morning, I found a lot of distractions bidding for my attention. There are times before we can get out of bed; our minds are racing with all the things that we need to do or get done for the day.

Too often, we allow the worries of everyday life to overwhelm our thoughts and cloud our vision. What we need is a clearer perspective, a renewed faith, and a different focus.

I woke up thinking about my mother who has some very serious health issues that she is facing. My heart was heavy, because I knew in the natural there is not much I can do to help her. I begin to pray for her and in the midst of the prayer another situation arose that wanted my attention and begin to take my thoughts in a different direction. I finally sat down in a quiet place so I could focus.

Life will try to toss us to and fro, but we must fix our hearts today on God. This is not an option! I could not imagine living my life without God. I don’t expect him to make everything easy for me. And I do know that he will be there as I go through difficult times. He said in his word, I will never leave you or forsake you and I stand on that promise. God created us in His own image, and He wants us to experience joy and abundance. But, God will not force His joy upon you; you must claim it for yourself. You have to decide if the Joy of the Lord will be your strength today. When we focus on the frustrations of today or the uncertainties of tomorrow, we rob ourselves of peace in the present moment. But, when we focus on possibilities instead of roadblocks, our worries no longer bully us.

Ps 57:7- My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise.

To help me stay focused, I begin listening to some uplifting music and just begin to sing and give praise. As I began to do this my thoughts begin to change. My focus begins to change. The condition of your character is determined, to a surprising extent, by the direction of your thoughts. If you focus your thoughts and energies on positive matters your spirit begins to lift. But if you focus too intently on the distractions and temptations of our 21st-century world, you’re inviting problems.

Ps 112:7- He shall not be afraid of evil tidings: his heart is fixed, trusting in the LORD.

It is not difficult to look around our world and see that things are changing everyday. And a lot of the change is not good. A bank in Germany has declared by the year 2011 the houses in the U.S. will be worth half of what we owe on them. With all the layoffs, unemployment, foreclosures and a host of other woes, we have to remain focused on our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. The Lord himself told us in John 16:33 - These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. Make up in your mind today that you are going to be of good cheer and stay focused. Our attitude makes all the difference. God Loves You and so do I…. Pastor Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment